I absolutely love avocado and could literally live on it. It’s not just tasty but it’s also a great food medicine. Loaded with important fiber, which reduce blood sugar spikes and is linked to a lower risk of many diseases by keeping our digestive system regular. Higher in potassium than bananas. Potassium is an important mineral which support healthy blood pressure levels. It’s also very high fat food. But it’s not just any fat it’s Oleic acid. Oleic acid has been linked to reduced inflammation and been shown to have beneficial effects on genes linked to cancer. Healthy fat is also essential for absorbing nutrients that are fat soluble. Avocado works well in a salad for increasing antioxidants and vitamin absorption This includes vitamins like A,D,E,K and antioxidants like carotenoids vital for healthy eyes.
Another healthy ingredient in this salad is Tuna. Lean protein, rich in omega -3 fatty acids unsaturated fats that improve blood vessel function, lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.Tuna is abundant in fish oil important for raising levels of HDL (good cholesterol) and helps to keep our arteries in good check.
I always safe the avocado skins for serving I like the look on a plate and it’s worked for me well as a party food as it tastes great and looks pretty on a buffet table.
2 ripe avocado
1 can of good quality tuna
1 celery stalk
1/4 tsp paprika
Himalayan pink salt/sea salt
freshly grounded pepper
1/4 cup (60g) mayonnaise
shallot or chive
- Remove the pit: Slice the avocado open vertically and remove the pit.
- Slice the avocado inside the skin: Using just the tip of the knife, slice into the avocado flesh, making sure to not pierce the skin. …
- Scoop out the avocado: Gently work a spoon between the flesh and the skin of the avocado.
- Cut the avocado flesh and put aside. for salad mix well drained tuna, finely sliced celery, mayonnaise, paprika,salt, pepper. Add avocado.
- Serve in avocado skin, sprinkled with shallots or chive